Time and money are the resources most of us don’t have. So in today’s post I thought I’d share some free applications that you may find handy as you work on your elearning courses.
The app is called Everything by VoidTools. David Anderson shared this with me after a recent workshop. It’s a simple application that lets you quickly search your computer. I created a custom keyboard shortcut and use it throughout the day because it really is super-fast.
I’m addicted. I just start searching stuff because I can. Sometimes I get up in the middle of the night just to do random searches. Works like a charm. There are other tools like this out there. If you don’t use one, Everything is worth trying and the price is right.
WaveShop is straightforward and has a lot more than basic editing functions. So if you only need to do something simple, you’re all set. But if you want to do more, then there are plenty of features to let you.
K-Lite Codec Pack
This isn’t really an application as much as a great resource. When working with multimedia you may run into issues playing audio or video files. Often these issues can be resolved by making sure the audio and video drivers are up to date for your computer’s hardware.
Another simple solution is to make sure you have updated audio and video codecs. They help encode and decode the various media formats. The K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of all sorts of filters and codecs. Don’t confuse this pack with the Chi-Lites where you’re limited to soulful funk but no AV codecs.
Cool Job: Work with the Articulate Community
I mentioned this open position in last week’s post and had a few people email questions. You can learn more about the job and apply here.
What you’ll need:
- Writing examples
- Portfolio that shows your best skills
We won’t start to look at the applications until after the Learning Solutions conference so that should give you time to put together samples of your best work. Articulate’s a great company with some of the smartest people I know. And our elearning community is filled with some great people, too. So we’re looking for someone who’s going to fit right in. That could be you!
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- May 9 (Indianapolis, IN). Fun Storyline Workshops. Day 1: Moving Beyond Bullet Points and Day 2: Building Interactive Video.
- May 11-12 (Phoenix, AZ). Two sessions, sign up for one or both. E-learning at the Speed of Business and Interactive E-learning Made Easy. Registration here.
- May 30-31 (Sydney, AU). Learn an assortment of production tips, interactive video, and how to build interactive elearning. Register here.
- June 2-3 (Melbourne, AU). Learn an assortment of production tips, interactive video, and how to build interactive elearning. Register here.
- June 29-30 (Toronto, ON). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- July 26 & 27 (Boston, MA). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- August 3 & 4 (Seattle, WA). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- September 20-21 (Dallas, TX). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- October 12-13 (Vancouver, BC). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.