In an earlier post, we looked at how to convert dingbat and wingding fonts into vector images that you can use in your e-learning courses and presentations. They’re great for creating icons or bullet lists.
Not that you know how to convert the fonts into vector images, you need some fonts to use.
I reviewed a bunch of the free fonts and tried to sort to the those that are free for commercial use. If you want to search on your own, look for facefonts, dingbats, or wingdings. They tend to produce good results. Also, most of the free font sites have an assortment of these fonts.
As always when using free resources, confirm the licensing agreement and provide proper attribution. And it’s still good practice to give the owner props.
Free Faces & Character Fonts
- Tombats here’s a link to just the tombat fonts
- Anime Eyes add them to shapes to create unique objects
- Buen Chico great for cartoony avatars
- PWToonz stick figure characters
- Chamaco face font
- Face It faces
- Humeur faces
- Flyboy airplane signals
- IdentaKit series of fonts to build faces
Free Icon Fonts
- Heydings common icons
- Heydings control icons
- Entypo icons
- Modern Pictograms
- Siruca Pictograms
- Web Symbols
- All dingbat fonts
- Guifx v2 Transports
- PWIcons hand-drawn icons
Free Shape & Arrow Fonts
- Komika Bubbles chat & conversation bubbles
- UI Fonts
- Recreational signs via Dept of Natural Resources
- Arrows that you can convert into editable shapes.
- Peax Arrows
- Cafeina Dig cool circle rings. Convert to vector and add brown with slight transparency onto of paper.
- Kool Dings 2 miscellaneous icons and other stuff
- PWFoodcons various food items
Are there certain fonts like these you like to use?
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- May 22-24 (Atlanta). ATD International Conference & Expo. We'll be in booth 738. Swing by to chat.
- June 20-21 (San Diego). FocusOn Learning conference.
- Articulate Roadshows. Join us for one or two days of e-learning goodness. Day 1 focuses on more general type e-learning topics and Day 2 is centered on learning to build some nice, reusable interactions. Learn more and sign up using the links below. Seats are limited for the events. If you're interested in presenting at one of the roadshows, let me know.
- There are a couple of other events planned. Once we get all of the bookings confirmed, we'll add the registration page and info.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.