As noted in an earlier post, an easy way to build interactive elearning modules is by choosing a single image and adding interactive elements to it. This is a great solution for those who don’t have graphic design skills or access to a graphic designer. The key is finding a single image that has a few potential content buckets.
Finding images is relatively easy today. I look for images like the ones below. They need to have some visual interest, a consistent context, and potential content areas that can be clicked on or zoomed into.
Interactive Image Example
In a previous post, I shared this interactive image demo and had lots of questions about the zoom effect I used and how it was built. To help you out, I recorded a few tutorials that go through the basics. I used a different image for the tutorials and included a new free template for you to download.
Here’s the new template in action:
Interactive Image Tutorials
Here are some tutorials that walk through how I created the zoom in and out effect in this elearning template.
- Tutorial 1: Lay the foundation by setting up the slides and links.
- Tutorial 2: Create the zoom in and out effect (this is the main tutorial).
- Tutorial 3: Shortcuts and production tips to save time.
Free Interactive Image Templates
I’ve included the source file for the original demo and a new template based on the image I used in the video tutorials. As a bonus, I used the same image to create a free PowerPoint template.
- Zoom Office template (Storyline 2). I fleshed out the template a bit and added variables to track completion. But you can use it anyway you wish.
- Interactive Office template (PowerPoint).
- Original source file.
- The templates also include a slide of individual characters. Create additional slides in the template and add the characters.
So now it’s up to you—find some images, watch the tutorials above, and create your own interactive image templates.
Upcoming E-Learning Events
June 29-30 (Toronto, ON). Connect with your peers in the Toronto area and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. SOLD OUT.
- July 26 & 27 (Boston, MA). Connect with your peers in the northeast and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- August 3 & 4 (Seattle, WA). Connect with your peers in the Pacific Northwest and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- September 20-21 (Dallas, TX). Connect with your peers in Texas and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- October 12-13 (Vancouver, BC). Connect with your peers in British Columbia and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.