A lot of rapid elearning hinges on PowerPoint. That means your success building courses is influenced by how well you know PowerPoint. To help you learn more about PowerPoint I pulled together a solid list of PowerPoint resources.
From The Rapid E-Learning Blog
Here are a few posts that cover some of the essentials tips and tricks required for successful PowerPoint-based rapid elearning.
- 5 PowerPoint tips essential for effective rapid elearning.
- Dozens of PowerPoint tips and tricks.
- More than 200 tutorials (most demonstrating excellent PowerPoint tips).
From the PowerPoint Team Blog
One of the best places to go for help with PowerPoint is from the makers of PowerPoint. Many don’t know it, but Microsoft has a number of really good PowerPoint resources starting with their PowerPoint Blog.
Of course, many of the tips on the blog are specific to the product and not necessarily relevant to rapid elearning. So I went through the blog posts and pulled out the ones that I think provide the most relevant content for building elearning courses.
Tips on Presentations & Organizing Content
There are a lot of similarities between creating content for presentations and elearning courses. The following tips provide ideas on organizing your content and connecting with those who look at the slides (or elearning screens).
- 5 Tips on Getting PowerPoint to Sing!
- 12 Tips for Creating Better PowerPoint Presentations
- 2 Steps to Change the World with PowerPoint
- 3 Ways to Make Your Picture Fit Your Slide
- 3 Presentation Secrets for Nonprofits
- 5 Ways to Avoid Irritating Your Audience
- 3 Tips for Making Powerful Presentations to the Government
- Moving Beyond Bullet Points with Cliff Atkinson
Tips on Using PowerPoint
The more you know about PowerPoint, the better you’ll be at creating your courses. Here are some tips to help you learn more about the PowerPoint features you’ll need for successful rapid elearning. Even if you don’t use the specific tips in the posts, you will learn more about some of the PowerPoint features, so it’s worth a look.
- Faster Design with the Layout Button
- Office Themes: The Infinite Variety Generator – Part 1 and Part 2
- Choose Slide Colors Like a Pro
- Create a Table with Nifty Rounded Corners
- Trouble Aligning Objects on Your Slides? Use Drawing Guides
- Better, Faster, Slicker PowerPoint Presentations with Keyboard Shortcuts
- A Picture + 1000 Words…
- Create Sexy Curved Lines in Your Slides
More Resources and Free Templates
Free PowerPoint Templates
- Templates from the PowerPoint team
- Templates from the Rapid E-Learning Blog
- Free templates & downloads from the E-Learning Heroes community
- Microsoft’s PowerPoint Templates
Good PowerPoint Books
- Beyond Bullet Points: What Cliff Atkinson shares for presentations is just as relevant for elearning courses. He addresses some of the same multimedia design principles as Ruth Clark does in her book, e-Learning & the Science of Instruction and provides a solid blueprint for applying them.
- Better Than Bullet Points: Jane Bozarth shares a lot of practical tips and tricks to help you get the most out of PowerPoint.
- Speaking PowerPoint: To be honest, I haven’t read the book yet. However the author, Bruce Gabrielle, shares a lot of good practical tips in the PowerPoint blog. So I am going to assume the book offers the same approach.
- PowerPoint MVPs: A great resource for PowerPoint tips and help. The PowerPoint MVPs usually have blogs with all sorts of tips and tutorials.
Microsoft’s PowerPoint Forum: Get specific answers to PowerPoint questions from the makers of PowerPoint.
PowerPoint Online Help: Microsoft updated the Office Online site and offers all sorts of tips and tricks.
PowerPoint’s been around for a long time, so there are all sorts of free resources and help available online. The secret is to take advantage of them and soon you’ll be a PowerPoint pro, too.
Upcoming E-Learning Workshops & Events (2015)
- August 4 & 5 (Seattle). Community-based elearning workshops focused on practical tips & tricks. You can register for one day or two days. To learn more & register, click here.
- September 23 & 24 (Vancouver). Community-based elearning workshops focused on practical tips & tricks. You can register for one day or two days. To learn more & register, click here.
- October 28 & 29 (Philadelphia). Community-based elearning workshops focused on practical tips & tricks. You can register for one day or two days. To learn more and register, click here.
Free E-learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.