If you add characters to your elearning courses, odds are that you’re also adding some speech bubbles. PowerPoint comes with the ability to create your own text callouts, but I find that I like to use ones that look more organic than the PowerPoint shapes. I try to create my own.
I created some speech bubbles for a recent project so I’m making them available for you to use as you wish. I also added a few bonus tips below.
On a side note, you’ll notice that the download links go to the new community site’s download section. I now have a place to put all of the blog downloads so it’ll be easier for you to find resources that I’ve shared in the past. Not only can you find all of the resources from previous blog posts, but you can also get a bunch of other free assets to help with your elearning design.
Rounded Speech Bubbles
Squared Speech Bubbles
Thought Clouds without Tails
Thought Clouds with Tails
- Organic fonts look great in speech bubbles. You can probably find some free ones at sites like dafont.com. I gave some away in a previous blog post on adding personality to your elearning courses. You can download those (and more) from the new community, as well.
- Use Microsoft’s clip organizer to manage all of the free assets. In a previous post I showed how to import your own images into the clip organizer. That will make it easier to find and insert the free speech bubbles.
- Don’t use speech bubbles. Sometimes the screen can get a little crowded and using speech bubbles doesn’t help make it less crowded. If you want to free up some white space, use simple lines that connect the character to the text. That’s what I did in this demo.
- Take full advantage of the new community. I uploaded the text bubbles into our new elearning community. You’ll find all sorts of other free assets like templates and graphics. You’ll also find some additional callouts. There’s even a practice course with all of the files available for you to use.
Hope you can use the speech bubbles (and the other free stuff) for some elearning projects. If there’s something you’d like to see in the downloads, let me know.
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- November 1 & 2 (London). Two-day Articulate Roadshow. Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. SOLD OUT. Register here.
- November 4 (Dublin). Articulate E-Learning Workshop. Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Limited seats for this event, so don't delay. Register here.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.