Update (July 25, 2017): Please refer to the Articulate Online API Examples GitHub repository for updated information. The below info is archived for reference, but mostly outdated.
It’s been a few months since we first announced the Articulate Online API, and we’ve already begun to see some examples of what’s possible with the API.
Examples of How to Leverage the Articulate Online API
How you leverage these calls in Web applications is up to you. Here are just a few examples — with code! — of what you can do with the AO API:
- Accept payment from PayPal: AO QA Lead Dave Mozealous has a detailed tutorial about how to accept payment via PayPal, then automatically create a new user in your AO account to access the content. You can even purchase a demo quiz from Dave via PayPal for $0.10.
- Create a self-registration page: Dave also outlines how to use the AO API to create a self-registration page. He even provides the sample code you can drop into your own website. And you can see it in action in this demo.
- Export all users to CSV: Dave provides another useful example of how to leverage the AO API by offering a PHP-based Web app to export all users in your AO account to CSV. You can plug in your own AO account details to see it in action here.
- Set up automatic login: Community Forums member kevinb wanted to be able to have his users automatically login to his Articulate Online account, so using the AO API, he wrote the code to do this in ASP. Learn more and download the ASP code in this forum post.
- List content items in your account: Kevin also wrote the sample ASP code for how to retrieve a list of all content items or documents in your Articulate Online account. You can also learn more in the same forum post.
- Integrate an e-commerce storefront: One of the most popular feature requests for AO is about integrating it with e-commerce. Using the AO API and working with an integration company like Trigent, you can make AO talk to your e-commerce store. Read on below for more…
Integrating Articulate Online & E-Commerce
Here are some resources to get you started with Trigent:
- Learn more about integrating your Web apps with AO
- Download a PDF from Trigent with more details on integrating Articulate Online with your e-commerce storefront
A Customer Success Story
Articulate customer Jaspersoft creates elearning with Articulate tools and wanted a way to sell its training courses via Articulate Online.
The company engaged Trigent to make its e-commerce store talk to its Articulate Online account with the AO API.
The result is a hassle-free integration that allows Jaspersoft customers to purchase online training courses — right through its website — then have their Articulate Online accounts automatically created.
“The use of the AO API has seamlessly integrated our Ultracart online store with Articulate Online, where automated account provisioning takes place for our web-based training courses. The AO team contributed significantly, assisting our team with timely and accurate technical support. The success of our online store integration with Articulate helps support our goal to deliver a rich self-service online environment for a large and growing Jaspersoft developer community.”
– Tom Vu, Manager of Web and Systems
Get the Articulate Online API
The Articulate Online API is available now.
There is an additional fee to activate API support in your account, and you can contact your sales representative to learn more. As of Novmber 2014, the API is now included with all Articulate Online plans.