101 Rapid E-Learning Tutorials
This guest blog entry was written by Articulate Community Manager Jeanette Brooks.
When we launched Screenr last month, it created quite a buzz! What’s cool is that the Articulate community wasted no time digging into this free & nifty web-based screencasting tool.
Within the first few days, community members had created, tweeted, and re-tweeted dozens of how-to screencasts. And the stream continues! Every week new screencasts are bubbling up and being shared in the community forums and on Twitter.
Here, for your e-learning pleasure, we’ve collected 101 rapid elearning tutorials, created by your fellow users and the folks here at Articulate. Each one’s 5 minutes or less, and I bet you’ll learn some stuff here that you didn’t know before.
Remember, if you discover a particularly helpful tutorial, you can add it to your virtual library or subscribe to the author’s stream by using one of the social media tools we covered last time.
- Tips for creating master slides
- Apply background images to your slides and slide masters
- Use PowerPoint 2007’s selection pane to select any object (even when they’re stacked on top of each other)
- Quickly duplicate objects using ctrl-click-drag
- Practice your PowerPoint skills by creating this icon
- Remove the background from images
- Tips for making image backgrounds transparent
- Add a Screenr screencast to your PowerPoint presentation
- Use Screenr and PowerPoint as a virtual whiteboard
Articulate Presenter Tutorials
- Remove slide numbers from the sidebar of your player
- Apply attachments to your presentation
- Create a button that launches a PDF you’ve inserted as an attachment
- Embed a PDF or other document right on a slide
- Add presentation notes at the bottom of your player interface
- Add presentation notes to your player’s sidebar
- Toggle the view mode of a published presentation
- Remove or customize the view mode toggle button
- Add a logo to your player’s sidebar
- Remove “Powered By Articulate” from your player
- Replace “Powered By Articulate” with your own clickable logo in the player
- Enable only the play/pause buttons on the player
- Create customized bullets for your Presenter project
- Import a single audio file
- Import multiple audio files
- Remove audio files from your project
- Export/back up your audio files
- Combine audio files from multiple slides
- Export your audio from one project and reuse it in another
- Replace existing audio in Presenter ‘09
- Create interactive audio buttons (part 1 of 2)
- Create interactive audio buttons (part 2 of 2)
- Insert video into your presentation
- Ensure your videos play in Presenter
- Create animated Flash (swf) videos using PowerPoint and Presenter
- Tip for finding out the name of the Flash movies you insert into Presenter
- Replace the video placeholder image in your slide thumbnail with a frame from your video
- Simulate scrolling in the notes panel of the sidebar
- Reenable the Articulate ribbon
- Add a Twitter feed to your presentation
- Use Presenter to create an FAQ tool
- Select the method of LMS reporting to use for your elearning course
- Insert a local web object
- Insert a web object that opens when users click a hyperlink
- Add a Screenr screencast to your presentation as a web object
- Add YouTube and external videos to your presentation with web objects
- Add a custom progress tracker to your presentation
- Create a Flash rollover effect in your presentation
- Back up your project files or share them with other developers
- Embed custom fonts in your Presenter project, for project collaboration
Articulate Quizmaker Tutorials
- Use Quizmaker for more than just quizzes: create reusable branched elearning scenarios
- Example of branched elearning created in Quizmaker
- Add Screenr screencasts to a quiz
- Change the hover-over color of your quiz questions
- Change the font color for your quiz theme
- Apply a different design theme to a single question within a quiz
- Change the font color of all questions in a quiz
- Apply an image to the background of your quiz template
- Design a fill-in-the-blank question
- Provide feedback to users on ungraded review questions
- Leverage existing quiz questions by reusing them
- Use question groups to randomize & pool quiz questions
- Customize the behavior of the Email Results feature
- Create a certificate users can print when they complete a quiz
- Upload and track a quiz with Moodle
- Turn off sound effects (the clicking noise) in your quiz or survey
- Make a Quizmaker quiz that’s transparent and shows the PowerPoint master background
Articulate Engage Tutorials
- Customize the playback mode of your interaction
- Remove or modify animated transitions in your interaction
- Turn off sound effects (the clicking noise) in an interaction
- Change the border style of images and movies in an interaction
- Change the font of interaction titles and content text
- Apply text formatting, symbols & hyperlinks to an interaction’s content text
- Import audio into an interaction
- Remove the speaker icon (volume control button) from the interaction player
- Insert a video into an interaction
- Add a Screenr screencast to an interaction
- Create animated Flash movies in Presenter and insert them in Engage
- Allow users to pick up where they left off if they leave an interaction
- Apply a longer segment title to your interaction content than what’s allowed in the segment title field
- Use Screenr screencasts to apply precision screencasts in a Labeled Graphic interaction
- Change the tab width in a Tabs interaction
- Scale the image size of your Guided Image interaction
- Change the alignment of caption text in a Media Tour
- Make a Labeled Graphic image appear right-justified
- Apply more than 20 numbered markers to a Labeled Graphic
Articulate Video Encoder Tutorials
- Tips on using Video Encoder for your e-learning courses
- Encode a batch of videos
- Apply a logo or watermark to videos
- Import and adjust a video, create and apply preset or customized movie dimensions, and export an FLV
Tutorials that Span Multiple Articulate Tools
- Download unbranded MP4s of your Screenr screencasts and use them in your elearning
- Orient users at the beginning of your elearning so they know about narration & player controls
- Make your Quizmaker quiz appear more seamless with your Presenter project
- Make your Engage interaction appear more seamless with your Presenter project
- Create Flash videos in Presenter and insert the swf into Quizmaker
- Use the master slide in your Presenter project as the image in a Labeled Graphic interaction
- Understand audio and image compression in Articulate tools
- Troubleshooting poor-quality audio
- Use Audacity’s Equalization effect to add warmth and presence to your audio
- Use Audacity’s Bass Boost feature to add warmth and presence to your audio
- Reduce background and ambient noise in your audio with Audacity
- Calculate the aspect ratio for your images and videos
Like what you see? Why not take take a stab at it yourself? Join the community and share your own tips and tricks.
11 responses to “101 Rapid E-Learning Tutorials”
Thanks a lot for these very useful tutorials.
This list is great because I went to Screenr just yesterday and realized there isn’t a way to search it!
I was specifically looking for Articulate Presenter tips for a class I’m teaching this week. I’ve already listed this site as a resource and I’ll refer them to this post in particular.
Please add search to Screenr but in the meantime, I’ll review/refer to this.
@Scott – Great suggestion. In the meantime, you can also use Twitter’s search and use keyword “screenr” + “Presenter” or “articulate” to find the lessons. We’ve been pretty good about tagging screencasts.
Here’s a Screenr for using Twitter search combined with rss reader for tracking specific lessons.
But yes, a search would be cool:-)
This is just what I needed! Flash video placeholder thumbnail with frame from video.
Thanks very much for this tip. I would like to use the same image/photo can you tell me where I can find it I have searched 1000’s of photo in iStockphotos and still looking.
Glad you found that tip useful, John!
Not sure what image/photo you’re referring to… but you could take a screenshot of the video and use that image as your thumbnail, as outlined in the tutorial you mention.
Great tool! I’ve learned a lot of new things I never knew before.
great help to many of us who need these tutorials.
Interesting blog on Articulate Engage
[…] fram (det vi ser på SlideShare, YouTube eller Screenr) kallas User Generated Content. Här är ett exempel på hur snabbt användargenererat innehåll kommer […]
[…] back in October, Jeanette posted an article on 101 Rapid E-Learning Tutorials, so that’s another good place to browse available tutorials by […]
[…] optymistyczne nastawienie. Jednym z oferowanych na rynku programów jest Articulate na którego stronie internetowej opublikowano list? tutoriali niezb?dnych dla tworzenia materia?ów w kursie zdalnym. Zosta?y one […]
Comments are closed on this post. Need more help? Post your question in the E-Learning Heroes Discussions.