To successfully use PowerPoint for rapid elearning, you need to do two things:
- Rethink how you use PowerPoint. Most people approach it from a linear presentation mindset, building slides the same way they would for face-to-face presentations. That just doesn’t work for elearning.
- Learn to use PowerPoint’s features. Once you scratch the surface of the tools available in PowerPoint, you’ll see it’s more than adequate for building great elearning. In many ways it’s the ideal choice because it offers a blend of speed, ease-of-use, and cost savings.
The following posts explore lots of practical, hands-on tips and tricks for using PowerPoint to create elearning. Use them and you’ll see how effective PowerPoint is to build good elearning courses.
What You Need to Know About PowerPoint & E-Learning
This series discusses key concepts and provides excellent examples of how to use PowerPoint for your elearning courses.
- What Everybody Ought To Know About Using PowerPoint for E-Learning
- 5 Essential Rapid E-Learning Tips
- Why Dissecting an E-Learning Course Will Improve Your Skills
- How to Convert Your PowerPoint Presentation into an Elearning Course
- Change Your Presentation Template to an E-Learning Template
- Here Are Some Time Saving Tips for Your Next Software Demo
Tips & Tricks to Improve Your PowerPoint Skills
Here’s a series of posts that will give you all of the basic production techniques that you need to be successful. The trick is to practice the techniques so that you can apply them to your own courses.
- 5 Must-Know PowerPoint Tips That Will Save You Time
- How to Be More Productive When Using PowerPoint to Create E-Learning Courses
- How Walt Disney Would Use PowerPoint to Create E-Learning Courses
- What You Need to Know When Working with Grouped Clip Art
- 5 Easy Tips to Whip Your Slides Into Shape
- How to Get the Most Out of Your Slide Notes
- Here’s Why PowerPoint 2007 Helps You Build Better E-Learning
- 5 Easy Ways to Add a Glossary to Your E-Learning Course
- Get Creative and Build Better E-Learning Courses
- These PowerPoint Experts Can Make You a Star
How to Create PowerPoint Templates (with free downloads)
Building templates for a PowerPoint elearning courses is different than building them for more traditional presentations. In these posts, I share ways to be inspired, improve your creativity, and build elearning templates that will work with your content.
Upcoming E-Learning Events
June 29-30 (Toronto, ON). Connect with your peers in the Toronto area and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. SOLD OUT.
- July 26 & 27 (Boston, MA). Connect with your peers in the northeast and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- August 3 & 4 (Seattle, WA). Connect with your peers in the Pacific Northwest and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- September 20-21 (Dallas, TX). Connect with your peers in Texas and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- October 12-13 (Vancouver, BC). Connect with your peers in British Columbia and learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.