It’s almost summer time and what’s better than laying in a hammock reading a book on how to build online training? Not much, I’m sure.
I’m always asked about books to read to get better at building online training courses. Here are a few books I’ve mentioned at recent workshops and below that a list of books I’ve mentioned in previous posts.
New Online Training Book Recommendations
Here are a few books I haven’t mentioned before that I think work for those just getting started:
Online Training Books: Getting Started
- Instructional Design for E-Learning: What I like about this book is that it has short chapters that cover a broad range of topics. They’re almost like abstracts of a lot of the things you need to know.
- E-Learning Uncovered: From Concept to Execution: This book also covers a lot of what you need to know to build courses. Also has some good checklists.
- Designing Effective E-Learning: A very practical approach to course design. He covers a lot of stuff. This is really more like a course on designing courses.
- The Accidental Instructional Designer: I like Cammy and she’s a lot like many of you who kind of stumbled into the role as elearning designer. Her book offers a lot of simple tips & tricks to help you get started.
Learning the Articulate Software
- E-Learning Uncovered: Articulate Storyline
- Learning Articulate Storyline
- E-Learning Uncovered: Articulate Studio ‘13
- Articulate Studio Cookbook
Blog Posts with Online Training Book Recommendations
I’ve mentioned a few books in previous posts. They cover a broad range of topics because today’s course designer needs to understand instructional, visual, and interaction design.
- Are These the Three E-Learning Books You Would Recommend?
- Become a PowerPoint Rock Star!
- 5 Simple Ways to Get Started with E-Learning Development
- 3 Ways to Improve Your E-learning Design Skills
- 10 Tips to Help You Get Started
- The Project Management Tip You Can’t Ignore
- These Simple Tips Will Help You Build the Right E-Learning
- Here Are the 3 Building Blocks for Interactive E-Learning
- 7 Proven Techniques for Keeping Your E-Learning Customers Happy
Online Training Book Recommendations
Here’s a list of the books mentioned above in case you don’t want to go digging through the previous posts:
Course & Instructional Design
- Design for How People Learn
- Multimedia Learning
- E-Learning & the Science of Instruction
- E-Learning by Design
- Training Design Basics
- Guide to e-Learning
- E-Learning by Design
- Scenario-based eLearning
- Training Design Basics
Working on Projects with Clients
- Performance Consulting
- The Performance Consultant’s Fieldbook
- Hamster Revolution: Manage Your Email Before It Manages You
- First Things Fast
Visual & Presentation Design
- Non-Designer’s Design Book
- Beyond Bullet Points
- Presentation Zen
- The Back of the Napkin
- White Space is Not Your Enemy
- Don’t Make Me Think
- Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
- About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
- Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
- The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web and Beyond
You can also finds a pretty long list of other books in the elearning community. Enjoy your summer reading!
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- May 9 (Indianapolis, IN). Fun Storyline Workshops. Day 1: Moving Beyond Bullet Points and Day 2: Building Interactive Video.
- May 11-12 (Phoenix, AZ). Two sessions, sign up for one or both. E-learning at the Speed of Business and Interactive E-learning Made Easy. Registration here.
- May 30-31 (Sydney, AU). Learn an assortment of production tips, interactive video, and how to build interactive elearning. Register here.
- June 2-3 (Melbourne, AU). Learn an assortment of production tips, interactive video, and how to build interactive elearning. Register here.
- June 29-30 (Toronto, ON). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- July 26 & 27 (Boston, MA). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- August 3 & 4 (Seattle, WA). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- September 20-21 (Dallas, TX). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
- October 12-13 (Vancouver, BC). Learn all sorts of tips & tricks in this fun community-based workshop. Register here.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.