Here’s a free elearning template I created for a recent workshop. I used it to highlight a few key production tips, which you’ll find below. The free template includes three interactions: two timelines and one process interaction.
Free E-Learning Template Example
- Download the free elearning template here.
- Here’s a simplified PowerPoint version of the timeline: demo and download.
Timeline Interaction 1
The first timeline interaction features segments with dots that represent events. Click the dot and it reveals a layer with all of the events for that particular segment.
Timeline Interaction 2
The second timeline looks similar to the first. However, each dot has it’s own content layer. This opens up more space for event-specific content. Also, the dot shows a visited state after selecting it.
The process interaction is a bonus that I created to show how quickly the objects can be moved around to create a different type of interaction.
Key Learning Points
Here are some of the things I pointed out in the workshop:
- Keep with basic shapes when creating interactions. They’re easy to re-use, copy, and modify. Especially when you want to duplicate functionality.
- Format painter is your friend because you just need to format one shape and apply it to the next.
- Animations and transitions work if they’re not superfluous or too dramatic.
- Play around with layouts and template ideas. In this example, I matched the top part of the screen to the player color so it looks like the header blends into the player.
- Naming is important. Notice how the object titles and layers match? This makes setting up triggers really easy. And if you need to troubleshoot it’s easier to spot if a connection is wrong.
Hope you enjoy the template or use it to inspire your own.
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- We'll be adding events for 2017 soon. If you'd like to see one of our workshops in your area just let me know.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.