One of the questions I’m asked the most is, “What font are you using?” And it’s usually asked when I’ve used a handwritten font. That’s because handwritten fonts really stand out from the font crowd.
Many of you are stuck with the default computer fonts. So you end up with elearning courses that all use the same familiar fonts. When you do want a font that’s less formal, you’re kind of stuck with comic sans, and we all know how much people like comic sans.
Sure, you have the option of purchasing more fonts. But font packs can cost a lot; and many of the so-called “free” fonts are only available for non-commercial use. That means you either buy them or you can’t use them.
Personally, I consider free to mean free, without a bunch of legal, small print gobbledygook. So what I am doing today is giving you some 100% Grade A free handwritten fonts created by me…and my family. Use them as you wish.
Create Your Own Handwritten Fonts
Check out the link below. You complete a template, scan it, and send it to the site to download a handwritten font. I haven’t used the site, so I can’t speak to the quality or the process, but it sounds interesting.
- YourFonts: $9.95 for custom fonts
Hand Drawn Arrows
Hand Drawn Circles & Lines
Links to other “free” fonts.
You’ll need to check out the licensing agreement for some of the fonts because many seem to only be free for personal, non-commercial use.
- 70+ Seriously Useful Handwritten Fonts and Inspirational Showcases: also has some good info to go with the fonts. That’s where I got the Barista web site.
- 50 Free Handwritten Fonts for Web Designers and Logo Artists: link courtesy of Matthew Bibby.
- 40 Pages of Handwritten Fonts. Lots of free fonts. Make sure to read the license agreement.
Upcoming E-Learning Events
- We'll be adding events for 2017 soon. If you'd like to see one of our workshops in your area just let me know.
- Mar 20 (Orlando). Want to learn to build courses with the right look & feel? Join David Anderson at his all day workshop on Graphic Design Essentials for Non-Graphic eLearning Designers.
- Mar 22-23 (Orlando). Come by the booth at Learning Solutions and say hello.
- April 13 (Minneapolis). Variables Made Easy with Articulate Storyline. Limited seats, so sign up now.
- April 13 (Minneapolis). Articulate User Meet Up. Details coming soon.
- April 14 (Minneapolis). PACT Meeting: Facing Today's Instructional Design Challenges.
Free E-Learning Resources
Want to learn more? Check out these articles and free resources in the community.
Here’s a great job board for elearning, instructional design, and training jobs
Participate in the weekly elearning challenges to sharpen your skills
Lots of cool elearning examples to check out and find inspiration.